Clash of clans is an online resource-based strategy game, where users form a community known as a clan and are supposed to build an army, attack villages and also be able to withstand attack to earn resources. The game was launched in 2012 by Finnish gaming giant Supercell, and it’s still going very strong on their ratings. The company has also launched two more super popular games, the Hay Day and Boom Beach, earning the company about $1.7 billion in sales at 2014. The game is very addicting, and logging means users are prone to attacks by rival clans which means players are forced to stay glued to their screen. It has got about 29 million active users which means you are missing a great deal if you haven’t started playing.
RESOURCES IN CLASH OF CLANS
- Gold and Elixir: They can be used to build and reload defences that protect other player’s attacks.
- Dark Elixir: Used to train and upgrade troops and spells.
- Gems: Premium currency
TIPS FOR PLAYING
- Get a Clan: Get some friends or other players and attack others in wars members donate units to aid attack and defence, which comes in handy at lower levels.
- Clean up your Bases: This may seem like a bit of chore as it takes up some builders and elixir but makes sure you are cleaning up the mess as soon as it appears.
- Save up for builders: You start the game with only two builders, so it’s easy to find yourself with resources when upgrades take days instead of hours. The builders are relatively costly as compared to other units, but they are essential so take time to save for them so you can build upgrades as quickly as possible.
- Patience is key: Many users take this for granted, but successful players know how to save their gems. Don’t spend your gems on always speeding up production because almost any free-to-play game, the biggest warning is their premium currency system as everything is dependent on some timer which gets longer as you progress on the game. Make up your mind to boost through your own production building and be very discrete about how you spend those gems.
- Seek for Inactive players: It’s a smart idea to look for players that have been inactive for a while, they may be difficult to find as other players may have already looted them as this is a commonly known secret. Seek those players who have gold mines or collectors, that way, and you will know whether they are worth your time when you try to raid them. Look for villages with no League Assignment associated with them, and they will be very easy to raid and sometimes extremely lucrative.
- Defence is the best defence: I know we are used to hearing “offence is the best defence”, but in clash of clans the reverse is the case. Build your defensive structures from archer tower, mortar, so you have lots of protection. Some players intentionally leave mines outside their walls as a gift for other users, so they farm them without destroying everything they have. Also, put in mind that players with highest level town earn less from raiding lower-level players so don’t rush to upgrade your town hall if you are playing defensively. Do not neglect your barracks because you are being defensive. Always be on the balance
- Shields Up: Getting attacked sucks but luckily if 30% of your town is destroyed, you have a 12-hour shield. Make good use of this time and not run off attacking, look for ways to improve your economy, build your army up, upgrade towers and spend your resources the right way. Shields are useful that you lose guard but don’t forget you may lose resources, and clan wars do not affect your shield timers at all. Keep your eyes on shield timer because once it expires, you’ll get an extra time to attach, but others can’t attack. Utilize that opportunity every time you have the chance to.
- Pick your targets carefully: Choose your targets with perfect scrutiny, examine their town hall level, so you know how many resources are available and earn back on what you spend on your troops. Before you deploy your troops, know the resources you are going for, target the most powerful defences for that resource and aim to pull off a win without burning through too many of your troop members.
- Raiding Alliances: The game allows a user to socialize, so use this to your advantage. Coordinated attacks can help you bring in some good wins, so communicate regularly, get advice from senior members, and have your fun.
- Clan wars weight: As you attack unstarred villages, you and your clan have the most to gain from attacking such villages. Allow the game to match-make opponents for you the first time, and if you succeed against tougher opponents, your lower level allies may have a hard time dealing with an equivalent increase in challenge. If you always go for easy ones, then you take away good opponents for those allies, forcing them into battles they can’t win. Punch your weight, and your whole clan wins.
- Keep Playing: Remember a secret to succeeding here is always to keep playing. The best Clashers (players) around the world play the game non-stop. I’m not recommending you do not have a life apart from building, defending and attacking, but the more you play, the better you will become.